“Hostels” are very close to my heart. Reason?
Well, when I used to be in school, more than going to a good college, I wanted to stay at a hostel. Yeah, I might sound stupid but that’s how it is. I never got a chance to stay at a hostel during college. It was always a PG or a rented apartment. But then, after I started traveling and discovered that there are hostels for travelers too.
During my visit to Mcleodganj with Stay on Skill, we stayed at this pretty hostel called – The Bunker.
About the hostel:
The Bunker is a pretty, little, quirky and vibrant hostel situated in this small hippie village in Himachal Pradesh – Dharamkot.
It’s approx 2 km uphill hike from Mcleodganj. It’s a warm and comfy place, with such crazy rooftop views, good food, and 4 doggies – Tazz, Anda Bhurji, Oreo & Sky. As they say – “The Bunker is a space created for travelers by fellow travelers”
How did I get to know about The bunker?
Well, honestly I heard a lot about The bunker in Bir. One of my friends is a regular visitor. I got this chance to stay at The Bunker, Dharamkot with Stay on Skill. I have traveled to Amritsar and Tirthan Valley with Stay on Skill and one thing I must say is the places where we stay are always great and conceptual.
Reasons you should come to this hostel:
- For the peaceful surroundings.
- Colorful & pretty Instagram worthy corners.
- Dharamkot market is just 10 mins walk. An economical offbeat retreat.
- To meet like-minded travelers at the rooftop cafe.
- Hosts at The Bunker are very supportive. A small story here – One of the host – Ashish was accompanying us on a trek and while coming back, honestly I was very scared of the trail and Ashish constantly kept on motivating me. That really helped a lot. (& it was for good 2 hrs.)
How to Reach Dharamkot (from Delhi): 482 km
There are plenty of private bus operators from Delhi to Dharamshala and Mcleodganj. Most of them provide a comfortable night journey.
Travel time could be anything between 10 to 13 hrs depending on road and weather conditions.
The de-boarding point for these buses is the Mcleodganj bus stop. If you like, you can make the half an hour walk till Dharamkot from here while enjoying the scenery or hire a taxi.
The nearest railway station from Dharamkot is Pathankot (93 km away). You can book a taxi or take a local bus from Pathankot to reach Dharamkot.
The nearest airport is at Kangra which is 20 km away from Dharamkot. You can take a taxi from there till Dharamkot.
There are 4 dorms and 2 private rooms. If you are going solo or with friends, dorms are highly recommended. All the rooms are well maintained and hygienic. Washrooms are well maintained. Each dorm (6 bedded) has one washroom and private rooms obviously have one washroom each. Oh yes, the wall arts! They are pretty interesting and also a good selfie spot 😉
I tried a lot of things during my 3 days of stay at The Bunker. Chole Bhature, Nutella Pancake, Granola Bowl, Oats bowl, Aloo Paranthas, Curd, etc. Not to miss, Coffee is just the best there. Everything is reasonably priced.
Things to do nearby The bunker:
- Cafe hopping
- Walk till Naddi village for Sunset (2 km)
- Get Lost in the village (not literally)
- Yoga and Meditation
- Triund Hike (7 km / 4ours)
- Dharamkot Market (10-15 mins walk)
- Flag point (20 mins)
- Mcleodganj Market (2 km / 35 mins downhill walk)
- Monasteries (2 km / 35 mins downhill walk)
- St. John’s Church
- No Name Waterfall (2.5 km / 2 hours)
Check out my Tirthan Valley Meetup experience with Stay On Skill
How to book?
Address: Bhagsu to Gallu Devi Temple Road, (Near Heena Cafe), village Dharamkot, Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh 176219
You can book it here: https://www.booking.com/hotel/in/the-bunker.html
Or DM them on Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/thebunkerhostel/
Or Call- 09036853395
“Stay” is one of the most important parts of your overall experience during the trip. I have shared my honest reviews about The bunker and here is my rating:
Value for money: 5 /5
Parking facility: No (its not possible to take your vehicle up there.
Approximate cost for 1 person in Dorm rooms: Rs. 500
Private Rooms (twin sharing): Rs. 2000 – Rs. 2500
- Don’t forget to try the granola bowl at the rooftop cafe. They use homemade granola and it’s super amazing.
- Do visit the nearby jungle. It’s only a 5-10 mins walk. Take your speakers/ book/ writing pad/ sketchbook along.
- Click lots of pictures. Your Instagram feed will look amazing with such vibrant colors.
- Cafes near the bunker are pretty cool. Do visit
- Avoid going during monsoon season.
- Be a responsible traveler. Use minimal or no plastic. Do not litter and carry your trash back.
- Bhagsu Cake is very famous there. Do try. It is available at most of the cafes for 50 – 60 Rs.
You can check out The Bunker Hostel’s Instagram, Facebook & Tripadvisor for more information about it.
Check out the exact location here:
Do check out my Instagram and Facebook for regular updates of my trips and events. Also, don’t forget to share your feedback about this blog in the comments Section. See you in the next one!