As the title says “Into the wild”, Rustic Charm Wayanad stands up to it.
A beautiful Wildlife Retreat surrounded by Brahmagiri Mountain Ranges, in the middle of dense forests, and inhabited by tribals, in God’s own country, is “Rustic Charm Wayanad”.
It’s indeed the best forest resort in Wayanad. Read further to know more.
I happen to found about this place randomly on Facebook and instantly decided to visit here for a long vacation.
I have written a separate blog about my experience. Do check it out here:
Wayanad is all about paddy fields, countryside, lovely waterfalls, hidden rivers, misty mountains, tea & coffee estates, wildlife, and forests. Wayanad is largely a hilly area, a part of western ghat, with more than 80% of the area under forest. The region has the highest population of Adivasi (tribals) in the whole of Kerala.
Wayanad is Kerala’s least populous district and the best-known secret.
Know your Hosts:
Mr. Giridhar is the proud owner of Rustic Charm Wayanad. As he told me, he visited Wayanad first, for his wife’s birthday and fell in love with the place. Later, he decided to build something there, purchases the land, then conceptualized the whole scheme of things and constructed this heavenly abode. As easy as it sounds, I am sure it must have been quite a journey. Giri Sir is an IT Professional, from Bengaluru and it’s only 1.5 years that Rustic Charm is completely functional. He keeps on visiting his “house in the forest” almost every weekend and plans to retire at 45.
About Rustic Charm, Wayanad:
It’s a beautiful luxury Wildlife retreat, built-in 3.5 acres of land, surrounded by forest on one side and paddy fields on the other. Inside, there are countless coffee and pepper trees.
Structurally, there are 6 independent stay options at Rustic Charm, which includes:
– A treehouse- 2 rooms
– A Capsule- SIngle room
– Two 2 BHKs
– Two 3 BHKs
All of them are based on different themes and are named accordingly. One common thing among all of them is that there is an ample amount of natural light in each room, good enough windows to enjoy the greenery around and fallen trees are repurposed into some amazing furniture, sceneries, and other decor items.
Sharing the pictures of each kind of stay to give you a better idea:
- THE ROOTS – TREEHOUSE SUITE
You won’t soon forget a night in “The Roots”, a luxurious suite inside a tree-like structure at Rustic Charm Wayanad. It is located in the foothills of Brahmagiri Hills. Air conditioning comes standard and “The Roots” features floor-to-ceiling glass walls on all 4 sides, which are perfect for nighttime stargazing, connecting with nature is a seamless experience accentuated by the comforts of modern luxury.
- THE STUMP – TREETOP SUITE
Where luxury meets nature- “The Stump”, Rustic Charm Wayanad’s top-of-the-line treetop suite. The best view of the lush greenery around might just be from this bathtub in the treetop suite. The cottage features a king-size bed, a cocoon swing, and a conversation table, along with luxurious amenities including a steam shower and an Air Condition.
- BAREFOOT BUNGALOW
Spanning over 2400 sqft, this magnificent rustic themed jungle front bungalow is minimalist in design but yet offers all the luxury you desire. Every detail is carefully selected and quality crafted using materials available locally. Highlights include industry lighting and shade systems, artwork display, and spacious rooms that overlook the jungle. This luxurious 3 bedrooms 3 bath bungalow built amidst coffee and pepper plantation on the fringes of Wayanad forests is ideal for your dream vacation.
- TRANQUIL TIMES – CAPSULE
You don’t often get an opportunity to live in a capsule that is far away from people and noises. Only surrounded by trees and carpets of green moss, the place is so quiet that you can hear your own heartbeat. A peaceful place with time to gaze at nature and to enjoy the simple things of life, a cozy room to snuggle up and read by the candlelight – all of which makes it a perfect romantic getaway! The tiny capsule is self-contained and has an attached bathroom. Ideal for a couple Or solo traveler and offers a wonderful view of the Brahmagiri hill.
- HOUSE OF VIEWS – COTTAGE
Holidaying is easy in this impressive, generously spacious villa. This immaculately designed villa invites comfort and exudes farmhouse elegance. With 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, generous living space, stylish finishes, and mesmerizing views of the jungle and the Brahmagiri peak, you’ll enjoy a perfect setting for relaxing and entertaining. The bay window in the living area flows into the coffee estate outside while also offering a panoramic view of the adjoining jungle. Perfect for anyone, this home is ideally positioned to enjoy during all seasons.
- SERENITY – STUDIO
Spanning over 800sqft, this magnificent jungle front studio graced by soaring ceilings and huge windows is a haven for both gazing at the wildlife and the stars. The grand entryway with a sweeping staircase draws you into a voluminous layout made for relaxing and enjoying your vacation. The bedroom has plenty of room for sleep and storage and is complete with thoughtfully designed wardrobes, furniture, TV, Wi-fi, and lighting. The terrace is huge enough for a perfect evening walk, to read a book, gaze at the stars, or simply take the mesmerizing views of the jungle.
- GLEN ROOST
An innate thatched corner-most chalet bungalow sweeping across 1500 soft, bordering Wayanad forests and neighboring the famous age-old Thirunelly temple. This brick house stands soon two levels and has a scheme articulated into a Kerala house adorned with tribal canvases, traditional dance forms, and original raw wildlife shots. It has two spacious bedrooms with attached bath and balconies that offer visual delights of Brahmagiri peaks, meadows, and jungle views making this chalet a soul-finding retreat.
Total Capacity: Approx 40 pax
Approx. Cost: The cost of the entire independent villa starts from 4k and goes up to 13k. For a single room, the price starts from 1000.
Camping Facility: Oh yes, you read it right, they also have this option where you can pitch your own tent. Charges start from 500 INR
Expect a variety of South Indian Dishes and special mention – “different variety of chutneys”.
P.S. I had “Bhindi (Ladyfinger) Chutney for the first time there and it was crazy.
How to reach Rustic Charm, Wayanad:
From Bengaluru: 250 km via Mysore Road | 7 hours approx.
From Mysore: 100 km via Nagarhole Forest | 3 hours approx.
By Road: Self Drive is an option, which is apparently the best option also if you are coming to Wayanad because places to visit around are far off. There are no public transport options. You can get taxis on request.
There is KSRTC (Kerala) bus from Bangalore to Calicut that drops off at a stop which is 15 km from Rustic Charm. You can request the property for a pickup.
By Air: Nearest Airport is Mysore or Kozhikode. You can fly to any of these and take a cab or self-drive car on rent
How to Book:
Address: Survey No 230/2B, Appapara PO, Thirunelly Village, Wayanad, Kerala 670646
You can book it on: Airbnb, MakeMyTrip, Booking.com, and the best way is to actually call, and book.
Check out the location map here:
Things to do or places to visit around Rustic Charm Wayanad:
- Village walk (Appapara Village)
- Visit Appapara Lake (10-15 mins drive from Rustic Charm)
- Visit River Panavally (a tributary of river Kabini)
- 4×4 off-roading inside dense forests
- Visit River Potumala (a tributary of river Kabini), you have to drive through a forest to reach this place.
- Visit 5000 years old Kaleeswari temple
- Night Safari (Organised by Rustic Charm on request)
- Night Walk inside the forest (Organised by Rustic Charm on request)
- Stroll inside Paddy fields and get some cool pictures clicked
- Visit Local Temple (10 mins walk from Rustic Charm)
- Visit Thirunelli Temple (approx 20 mins drive from Rustic Charm)
- Iritty Valley (1-hour drive from Rustic Charm)
Above mentioned places are in close proximity to Rustic Charm and experiences that you must do.
Here is a list of other popular places that you can visit in Wayanad:
- Jain Temple (1.5 hours – 58 km)
- Edakkal Caves (1 hour 40 mins – 60 km)
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary (1 hour 50 mins – 74 km)
- Banasura Dam (1 hour 15 mins – 46 km)
- Soochipara Falls (2 hours – 71 km)
- Lakkidi Point (1 hour 40 mins – 60 km)
- Karlad Lake (1 hour 20 mins – 51 km)
- Glass Bridge- 900 Kandi (2 hours – 70 km)
- Kuruva Island (50 mins – 21 km)
- Pookode Lake (1 hour 40 mins – 60 km)
Value for money: 5/5
Wi-fi: Yes, you get Dongles on Request
Phone Network: Jio and Vodafone work amazingly well. No networks for Airtel.
Parking facility: Yes
Kids Friendly: Yes
Pets Friendly: Yes
Kitchen for Self Cooking: Yes (on request)
Laundry: Washing Machine facility available for long stays
Best time to visit:
- Any time of the year is good but October till March is usually the best.
- Summers can be quite harsh (April- June)
- Monsoon in Wayanad is altogether a different feel. The cool temperature and green all around make it look heavenly.
Who should visit Rustic Charm Wayanad:
- Perfect for families, as there are separate villas available, to maintain privacy.
- Group of friends. There is ample space to party and spend some quality time together.
- Corporate groups
- Honeymooners. Treehouse at Rustic Charm Wayanad is just the perfect space for them.
- Solo travelers who wish to spend a relaxing holiday and is fine to explore on his/her own.
- Budget travelers. There is a provision to pitch your own camps.
- People who are bored of working from home and are looking for some interesting options with every sort of facility available.
Few Highlights about Rustic Charm Wayanad:
- Forest views from the windows of almost all the villas and treehouse.
- Food with amazing views of paddy fields.
- If you are visiting from Bangalore, you will get a chance to drive through the Nagarhole forest and who knows what you get to see!
As they say “wildlife appears when you least expect it”
- One side of the boundary of Rustic Charm Wayanad opens into a forest, like literally. If that excites you, then sure go for a morning, evening, or even a night walk.
- There are some really interesting spots near Rustic Charm Wayanad which are unknown to travelers, like, local temples, rivers, churches, etc. (Mentioned above in this blog)
- Tasty and healthy home-cooked meals.
- Plan your trip well in advance, as the distances between tourist places, are quite huge and you might end up wasting a lot of time in just driving
- Don’t miss out on the local attractions near the property. You can request for a guide and roam around.
- Carry insect repellants, as it’s a forest area and there are mosquitoes and insects.
- If you are interested in Bird watching, do carry a Binocular. You will be surprised to see some really amazing birds around.
- Preferably, choose full sleeve clothing to avoid insects.
- Carry sunscreen, umbrella, cap, sunglasses, and wear comfortable shoes.
- Keep cash handy. Most of the places accept online payments but you might have to pay entry tickets at certain points and ATMs are hard to find.
- DON’T miss out on Uniyappam. It’s a very popular Kerala sweet. One popular shop which is almost 100 years old, is just 10 mins drive from the property.
- Do shop for spices, forest honey, and ayurvedic medicines are also very popular there in Kerala.
I hope you like this blog. Do check out my Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube for regular updates of my trips and events. Also, don’t forget to share your feedback about this blog in the Comments Section. See you in the next one!
OMG! These images and your journey description… so goose-bumping.
I haven’t been to the south yet but Wayanad is always on my list along with Munnar